Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We don't search it: We GOOGLE IT

This is very true. When someone asked me where they could find some information about sneakers, I told them to GOOGLE it. Google is controlling my life. I use it for everything. I even have a Google phone, a MyTouch. You know? The phone that Whoopi Goldberg, Phil Jackson and Jesse James do a commercial for? Yea, that one. I was in my content management class yesterday and my professor told us that Google actually makes $11 million a day. Do you how many jr. bacon cheeseburgers that buys? But, the article mentions that YouTube didn't make any money in 2008. That's surprising to me because everyone seems to use it. If it wasn't for YouTube, I would've never seen Kanye bumb-rush Taylor Swift at the VMA's.

The most important thing from this article, at least to me, is seeing how dominant that Google is. The article said that Google comprises of 70% of web searches. But, I think Google will continue to grow. It will never stop getting better. It's just like "new" media. It can't be new if there's changes to it everyday. Google has Flip and Wave. Now, they're trying to release E-Books???? Google is going to control everything, but I have no problem with that. Over the years, Google struggled but they bounced back and found ways to make money and become powerful. I can't picture any other search engine becoming as powerful as Google has become.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. "Google is going to control everything, but I have no problem with that." Careful with that statement Winton. Media, or anything really, controlled by one company, usually means bad things happen.

    Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think Google is going to keep growing. No one else has the ranking structure that Google has in place. And no search engines have had any staying power. It will be interesting to see what Bing does.

    ReplyDelete