Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Case.In.Point.

Reading Ken Auletta's "Searching For Trouble" proved quite an interesting experience for me. Why? Every five minutes, I checked my Gmail, and/or Google Reader accounts (not to mention, YouTube-ing just a few short minutes ago). If my experience doesn't serve as a major lesson in Google's impact in today's web culture, I'm not sure what does!

Besides having a Gmail account, and a Google Reader account (which, by the way, is AMAZING), I also regularly track my Google-Analytics for my photography website. I have a Google.com business profile so it shows up in search engines. And I also have accounts for YouTube and Blogger (owned by Google). I'd venture to say most of us in class are similar in this Googly regard.

Why mention all of these tidbits of information? It's evidence. Pure evidence of the monopoly Google has created over our lives. Maybe that sounds harsh? But I'm not so sure. Whether most people realize it or not, Google has definitely infiltrated a majority of our web-related lives. And as students, it's not surprising that we spend the majority of our days online. Therefore, I'd be interested to see just how much of my day is actually consumed with this Google "product."

To be honest, when I started reading the article, I had no qualms with Google. But as I continued, I became more and more aware of my ignorance of the "arrogance" of Google. I was a bit turned off by the business practices and attitudes Auletta mentioned. However! I've finished the article, and am still in love with the ease of Gmail, Gchat, Reader, etc., etc., etc. Overall, one has to question whether real people really, sincerely care about the Google monopoly. Because, in the end, it serves them.

So what's in store for Google in the future? I'm not sure. But I do think there are many, many more innovations to be made, and much more growth to occur before consumers start noticing in the slightest.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that we read this article and then concern ourselves with the amount of control Google has in the industry because, as you said, if we stopped to look at the amount of Google products we use daily, we would have gotten the picture. It is true how you mentioned how the article talks about Google's arrogance and success and how it is deviating from its original search engine plans of being a neutral search engine etc. However, despite the companies arrogance, they are going to continue to serve us the people because by continuing to be the mega company that they are, they need to continue coming up with innovative things for its consumers. So by staying on top they need to continue to keep us happy. Therefore, instead of Google ruling us, we can help dictate what Google should venture to next by our consumer trends etc. We can tell Google what we want, and since apparently there are amazing technology gurus working for them, they might be able to find a way to give us what we want.

    ReplyDelete