Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Google keeps its audience's well-being in mind: Jackie Poinier

"It is probably the most visible service concocted by mankind."
This is so true. Before reading this article I didn't realize what a monopoly Google held over the media industry, but I knew what a monopoly it held over people all over the world. One of the country's I visited while studying abroad last Fall was Japan. I did a home-stay in Kobe, where one of my most vivid memories was my home-stay mom asking me for a translation. She wanted a translation of "google." To increase her English vocabulary she kept a journal of words she heard that are outside textbook English. Obviously she had heard this word "google" mentioned enough by American visitors to stick in her head. This to me shows how widespread the company is. It's became a word in our dictionary. Although the founders never made a business plan and are receiving criticism for it, I think they will only continue to excel because they think first of their audience & second about their profits.  

Like the quote says, Google is the most visible service on Earth. The aspect that I think will propel it into the future is being an outlet for all consumer needs. It already provides video access, maps, reading storage, document filing... its looking into data storage and mobile software... basically YES its a monopoly but what will save it is how widespread its uses are for consumers. Maybe its just me but to consumers its products are fragmented and separate. Looking at my mail and watching You Tube seems like completely different industries. If they can keep coming up with more mini-products within Google that help consumers address all their needs from one location they could be a monopoly on information accessing, but no other company is close to reaching all the bases that they cover. 

In order to keep functioning Google needs to start making money off of their sites. I hope they find a way to utilize advertisers that won't change their initial goal of improving "people's lives through information... a future in which knowledge transended the limitations of the marketplace." I never thought of Google as a company designed with individuals in mind, but now that I know their root, it is easy to see why they've become so popular... and why they will remain so.

No comments:

Post a Comment