Monday, October 26, 2009

New Site: The Right Direction

When I first logged on to the CNN homepage I initially did not like what I saw. The header (although a different color) and the navbar bleed together. Although the middle column has a bigger picture, it doesn't seem to make me feel the story is more important. I see two photos slammed next to each other competing for my attention and it creates some visual tension. The right column was complete naked because I did not have personalized log in settings.

However, as I moved from around the site I started to see some interesting web design moves. As the reading described CNN wanted to focus on "story-telling". Once I clicked on an article I got the high points in bullets on the left, the actual story, related topics and the most popular stories of the all. All of these featuers enhance my understanding of the story and I find that very postive. It's an easy to follow layout.

In addition, I have seen a dramatic increase in the graphics. For example, when I click on U.S. News I see four photos on my screen without even scrolling up or down. I think this will help CNN attract more people to its content. The article cites Nick Wrenn from CNN saying there is a "new focus on video that brings the site to life". CNN does have more feature videos and pictures then before which again, will enhance coverage.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you're saying about how it's easy to follow stories. Reading content on the page is much easier now with the layout. I also agree with the use of pictures on the pages. They definitely should help attract more viewers. Good assessment of the page.

    ReplyDelete