Monday, October 26, 2009

I don't know how I feel...

about CNN's new redesign. For some reason the CNN logo in the middle of the header section makes me feel a little unbalanced. And having the main news image and the featured video and a flashy advertisement all next to each other in a row confuses my brain a bit as I don't know where to look.

However, I do like how the different sections are broken up, I feel it's easier to find something interesting faster. I think the first half of the page, despite all the photo confusion, has a nice diverse look to it where I don't feel like I'm looking at the same thing repeated three times like I did on the old design.

According to the Guardian article CNN wants to put more focus on video and entertainment, which I guess it's achieving by putting some videos front and center. However, I've never really been a fan of the ireporter stuff because I feel cheated somehow knowing the news is coming from some random person and not a journalist. I don't know if I like the idea of those videos being showcased when there are more in-depth, more visually interesting multimedia pieces out there. But that's just me getting nit-picky.

Other than that I guess the site is OK. It was my homepage, but I'm thinking of changing it now to something else.

1 comment:

  1. I am in video journalism and as a result I like video however it is true about the ireporter video. Sometimes they hype it up on their site that they have video and it turns out being crap. If they are going to highlight video on their new site they should work at actually putting their good quality reports that usually air on TV.

    ReplyDelete