Tuesday, November 17, 2009

SEO

Who knew Search Engine Optimization was so complicated? Up until now, I have been on the finding the side of search engines results not on designing side. Knowing what designers go through to get you to their website is pretty impressive. Now I suppose I am going to have to be more in tune to the tricks. The Google article, while long and infused with perhaps too much information, was helpful and eye-opening. The section on meta tags was useful because I didn’t know what those were when I would look at the page source of different websites.

When googling (or searching for results on other search engines that aren’t google, yahooing? binging?) I found it astonishing that a company’s main page wasn’t the first link when that was the exact thing you typed in because they didn’t take the right steps to make sure their site was number 1. For example, when I just searched “SEO” the first site the popped up was the Search Engine Optimization Wikipedia page. http://www.seo.com was the third link.

I was also interested in the problem with Flash because I have friends who love using Flash in their websites and they probably don’t realize that they are negatively impacting their search engine results. I forwarded my friends the article so that they could improve their website search engine results.

I am planning on making myself a website this winter break with the fun new skills I have learned in class and knowing this kind of information is really important because now I will be able to do everything I can to make my site more apparent and as a result more important on the web.

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting to think about how designers and site managers (who only sometimes are the same person) are both equally important. Bad design and great content, or the other way around, will not hold as many loyal visitors as a site that had strong design AND strong content (AKA great SEO).

    I used to judge a site just on its looks, but as I grow older and more dependent on web content, I am concerned with the words on a page. I get frustrated with a Google search that doesn't get me to the content I need.

    ReplyDelete